[typo] Dynamic macros

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Sep 19 23:29:01 EDT 2005

On Sep 19, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Justus Pendleton wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 12:21:08PM +1000, Trejkaz wrote:
>
>> It would be, if people frequently visited the only page the filter is
>> being used on. :-)
>>

> It sounds like what you want is for typo to know that some filters,
> given the same input, may return different output each time they are
> invoked.  I don't think that filters were ever intended to handle that
> kind of nondeterminism.  It certainly doesn't make sense if you
> come at
> it from the perspective of wanting to use things like Textile,
> Markdown,
> or reST for your compositions.

Actually, this sort of thing has been on my wishlist for a while, but
it's really not a high priority for me.  Eventually, I'd like filters
to be able to say "this output is good for 20 minutes" and have the
cache behave appropriately.

Obviously, we aren't there yet.  We aren't really even very close.

> I have a dynamic LibraryThing[1] "sidebar" which is just a static
> sidebar with
> one line of HTML:
>     <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"
>     src="http://someurl"></script>
> And the content of the URL is just some javascript that does a few
> document.writes() to put the current data into the document.  It seems
> to work okay in the short time I've been using it.  Something like
> that
> might work for what it sounds like you're trying to do.

For things that change every time, this is almost certainly a better
approach.  It'll let the cache do its thing while still keeping
everything up to date.

Scott