[typo] Dynamic macros

Justus Pendleton justus at ryoohki.net
Mon Sep 19 23:17:32 EDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 12:21:08PM +1000, Trejkaz wrote:
> It would be, if people frequently visited the only page the filter is
> being used on. :-)

It sounds like what you want is for typo to know that some filters,
given the same input, may return different output each time they are
invoked.  I don't think that filters were ever intended to handle that
kind of nondeterminism.  It certainly doesn't make sense if you come at
it from the perspective of wanting to use things like Textile, Markdown,
or reST for your compositions.

> I'm going to come up with some different ideas, though.  Maybe I can use
> an AJAX trick to have the content inserted into the element after the
> static page already loaded.

I have a dynamic LibraryThing[1] "sidebar" which is just a static sidebar with
one line of HTML:
	<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"
And the content of the URL is just some javascript that does a few
document.writes() to put the current data into the document.  It seems
to work okay in the short time I've been using it.  Something like that
might work for what it sounds like you're trying to do.

[1]: http://www.librarything.com