[typo] Unicode characters output from macros

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Sep 19 21:06:14 EDT 2005

On Sep 19, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Trejkaz wrote:

> As you can probably tell, I've been playing around with macros a lot.
>
> Something I just discovered... if my macro outputs characters in UTF-8
> encoding, they don't get picked up properly.  I did some digging
> and it
> seems that even if the HTML has UTF-8 specified both in a <meta>
> element
> and in the <?xml?> declaration, if the HTTP specifies the encoding
> to be
> something else, it's all for nought.
>
> Presently, it seems that Typo sends almost all pages as encoding
> ISO-8859-1.  Would it make sense to change this globally to UTF-8?
> Is it
> possible perhaps to do this using an Apache directive, so that Typo
> doesn't have to add the feature?

I haven't noticed this, but it's possible that Safari is defaulting
to UTF-8 for me.  We *absolutely* should be using UTF-8 everywhere;
ISO-8859-1 is wrong.  Changing Apache's default would only help with
Apache; webrick and lighttpd would still be broken.  So we'll need to
add   a UTF-8 content-type everywhere.  That shouldn't be all that hard.

> Interestingly, when you create a page which has multi-byte
> characters in
> it, those characters encode using XML entities.  This is probably a
> problem in itself, as XML-encoding the characters results in around 8
> bytes per character, whereas UTF-8 results in an average of 2-3.

This is almost certainly an editor or web browser issue; I've created
posts with UTF-8 characters using Ecto on OS X.

> Are either of these issues worth a ticket? :-)

The first one is.  I'm not sure about the second one, can you provide
more details?

Scott