[typo] Themes and sidebar

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Fri Sep 16 10:25:33 EDT 2005

On Sep 16, 2005, at 7:08 AM, Boris wrote:
> First - is it possible to include / call a sidebar plugin directly
> from the layout? For example I want my flickr plugin to be
> displayed to be  on a specific location in the page. I'm not sure
> how to call this code from my default.rhtml layout in my theme.
Sure, just call render_sidebar().  It takes one parameter, a Sidebar
object.  Something like this should work:

flickr = Sidebar.new
flickr.controller = 'flickr'
flickr.active_config = { 'feed' => 'http:/...', 'count' => 8,
'format' => 'square' }

You can also pull the flickr object out of the DB, but that might be
more trouble then it's worth.
> Secondly - is it possible to theme the sidebar plugins, similar to
> the layout of the page. Or is my only possibility to use a CSS?
That's a really good question.  I'm not really sure.  Worst-case,
just copy the sidebar that you want to theme (look in components/
plugins/sidebars/flickr*) and edit the files that you copied.  That
should be all that you need to do.  The theme view code will probably
work with sidebars, but I never tested it, and it's probably easier
to just copy the sidebar and modify it to work the way you want.