[typo] Typo as CMS

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Thu Sep 15 22:12:48 EDT 2005

> Hi All,
> I'm interested in experiences using Typo as a CMS, and what type of
> strategy might be taken to extend typo in a manner that supports
> upgrading (mostly) easily.

Upgrading is already pretty simple, I don't see why you would think of
extending it.  As you've already seen if you've used it for long enough,
when you enter the admin screen, it migrates all your databases up to the
current version, with you only having to push a button.  You can do the
same thing using the traditional rake method as well, if you don't feel
like doing it through a web UI.

As far as using it as a CMS, it has the "pages" feature now, and you can
structure the pages in a kind of fake directory layout if you want.  But
there's no kind of control over which Typo users can edit which pages
AFAIK, which is really the core feature of a CMS.  It also can't accept
comments on pages, which would be a nice-to-have improvement for a CMS
where a lot of non-admin users are viewing the pages.

But for simple stuff, it's already fine I would think.