[typo] typo

Mike Purvis mike at uwmike.com
Thu Sep 8 18:16:48 EDT 2005

Jonathan Younger wrote:

> To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why people want to use blog
> software for hosting photo galleries. Sure, it's possible but far
> from a elegant solution. Doug Bowman has done a great job of creating
> a photo gallery with Photon and MT but I'd personally like to see a
> much better system developed.

I just think that blog software is more widely used and therefore more
mature than most others. WP, Txp, and now Typo are all classy, simple,
reliable systems. Coppermine, on the other hand, is so overengineered as
to be almost completely unusable. Blog systems already have the basic
ingredients for a kickass Flickr-esque gallery: titles, permalinks,
comments, customizable templates, and tagging (categories).

And besides, it's nice to be able to use an interface one's already
familiar with. I'm a believer in reducing a problem to the most basic

> I'll also be creating a new iPhoto plugin that is highly focused on
> the best possible interaction with this new gallery software.

For me, my woes with online galleries is *definitely* the upload phase.
If it's more than one step, it doesn't happen. Yes, I've investigated
the Hello/Blogger thing in Picasa, and they seem to have locked it down
fairly tight. The one "open" part of the program is the "email these
pictures" function. I expect that my next gallery project will be a
program that checks a secret email box on a cron and then harvests
attached pictures off of incoming emails. That's the only way I can
think of that's genuinely easy. (with the possible exception of the
flickr bookmarklet...)