[typo] typo

Jonathan Younger jonathan at daikini.com
Thu Sep 8 16:33:17 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm the author of Photon. I too have caught the RoR bug and is
ironically part of the reason why I don't have time to work on Photon
much any more. :)

Unfortunately, there isn't any API standard for creating blog
categories. Photon has to have a custom method implemented for each
blogging system it wants to support. Basically it just does an HTTP
form post mimicking the creation of a category via the same method
the blog software creates categories. Really kind of a pain.

Not to stray too far from the topic but the APIs created for blogging
software are pretty weak and minimal. Everyone seems concerned about
doc format, i.e. RSS or Atom, but no one is answering the basic
questions of having rich API for managing blog software.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why people want to use blog
software for hosting photo galleries. Sure, it's possible but far
from a elegant solution. Doug Bowman has done a great job of creating
a photo gallery with Photon and MT but I'd personally like to see a
much better system developed.

If time permits, I plan to develop a photo gallery in RoR that has a
rich API for doing pretty much everything a photo gallery would need
to do. Actually, to start with it will probably just be an API as my
HTML/CSS interface design skills are severely lacking. Having some
kind of interaction between Typo and this new gallery software would
be fantastic.

I'll also be creating a new iPhoto plugin that is highly focused on
the best possible interaction with this new gallery software.

Right now everything is pretty much just vaporware but hopefully that
will change soon.

-Jonathan