[typo] Another Frustrating Dreamhost/Rails/Typo experience

Scott Hughes (List) shughes_list at globalreset.org
Tue Sep 6 21:17:52 EDT 2005

After I forced my RAILS_ENV to 'production' in config/environment.rb
and I downloaded the latest rails fcgi_handler.rb (and installed in
my typo/lib folder), I noticed a drastic improvement and much fewer
lockups.  They do still occur occasionally, but much less so than
when I started using Typo.

I tried playing with a new rails app of my own today, and I had the
most frustrating experience you can imagine with Dreamhost.  I
couldn't keep the app running and it kept kicking me out of shell
access.  If you check the forums, you'll see we are not alone.
Apparently, Dreamhost is currently migrating all of their shared
hosts to the latest debian, but I don't think it's running according
to plan.  Lots of users are complaining of frequent mysql/shell/ftp/
web dropouts.

As an aside, I wonder if Typo is tested in such a harsh environment
to see how well it handles it?  Could be that rails itself
(ActiveRecord) doesn't play well with disappearing mysql servers
(i.e. no chance to retry).

So, try those first two suggestions and, if they don't get you at
least to a 'mostly' usable point, you'll have to wait until Dreamhost
is done beating up our shared hosts...

Scott Hughes