[typo] Typo blog using 100MB RAM per process?

Sean Santry santry+typo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:21:08 EDT 2005

Now THIS is interesting. I remember reading this in the TextDrive
forums sometime last week, and it's now been posted to the TextDrive

Of particular interest is the bit about garbage collection. Julik writes

> Go to your dispatcher (dispatch.fcgi) and change this:
> RailsFCGIHandler.process!
> to this:
> RailsFCGIHandler.process! nil, 50

I had made this change last week when I first read his post to the
forums. However, when I upgraded to the latest Typo this morning, I
overwrote the change (i.e., I removed the "nil, 50" bit).

Here's the interesting part (well, to me at least). If I add the "nil,
50" bit back in to turn on garbage collection after the 50 requests,
it breaks the application, gives me an Internal Server Error (500) and
I get a "FATAL couldn't allocate memory" at the console.

Why would turning on garbage collection cause the application to fail
on the very first request?

- Sean