[typo] Live Search on Pages?

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:40:31 EDT 2005

On 10/21/05, Peter Van Garderen <peter at artefactual.com> wrote:

> Live Search of pages works exactly like articles.
>

> The issue that I'm raising concerns the old school search (type words and
> *press return*) which displays the full content of all found articles.
>
> O.K. yes I see what you mean now.
>
>  When adding support for page searching, I used the same pattern for found
> pages. The search results page now displays the the complete content of all
> found pages and articles. Having a page of pages seems really strange to me,
> but if it is reasonable to others, I'll submit the patch.
>

> Another option would be to remove the old search and dodge the issue all
> together.
>

> W ell, this is only one newbie's opinion but I like getting just a hit list
> in the sidebar and leaving it at that (i.e. disable any action if *return*
> is pressed). The user can then select a link from the hit list and is not
> left wondering what happened to the main page that they were just on.  Of
> course, this could get messy on a large site and they start getting 50+ hits
> in the sidebar.

That, and what about that user who has javascript disabled etc. Of
course, if javascript is disabling the return, I suppose thats a
non-issue, but you still need to work out what is displayed. I like
titles and summaries better than complete pages. I suppose that could
be either a display of the matching text (like search engines do) or a
summary prepared by the author or even the first paragraph of the page
or ... you get the idea. Not really keen on the enire page thing.