[typo] Typo blog using 100MB RAM per process?

Sean Santry santry+typo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:50:26 EDT 2005

Hi Everyone -

I have a typo blog over at Textdrive that recently stopped working. My
install is from the typo trunk:

$ svn info
Repository UUID: 820eb932-12ee-0310-9ca8-eeb645f39767
Revision: 667
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: kevin
Last Changed Rev: 667
Last Changed Date: 2005-10-06 01:22:44 +0000 (Thu, 06 Oct 2005)
Properties Last Updated: 2005-10-06 23:31:06 +0000 (Thu, 06 Oct 2005)

I'm running under lighttpd and it's been working fine for a few weeks
now. After a server outage at Textdrive, my blog didn't come back up.
Web requests got an Internal Server Error (500), with nothing to the
logs. Turns out Typo was trying to allocate more than 100MB of RAM,
which exceeds the limits Textdrive puts in place.

This has never happened before. I'm waiting to hear from the Textdrive
people as to whether this is a new memory limitation that I might not
have run into before. They suggested I disable caching, so I went into
config/environments/production.rb and disabled it, but that didn't
working. Of course, I then realized that even with caching, I have
nowhere near 100MB of content, even including images.

Any thoughts? I'm not even sure how to debug this :(

- Sean