[typo] {OT} typo & lighttpd proxy module question

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Oct 19 21:55:28 EDT 2005

Apologies...This is more of a proxy module lighttpd question but the
documentation over at lighttpd.net is pretty slim and it seems that
lots of typo hosting is done via proxied servers so perhaps someone
here can answer this...

I have lightpd/fastCGI running directly on port 80 and front-ending
my off-of-SVN Typo powered site.

However, there is a mediawiki/PHP/apache instance that I need to fold
into my Typo site under a specific url path and I've done that by
activating the proxy module in lighttpd.

It all works fine, no problems.

The site is http://gridengine.info and the "proxied" wiki has been
folded into http://gridengine.info/wiki/

My proxy configuration for lighttpd looks like this:

proxy.server = ( "/wiki/" =>
                    ( (
                        "host" => "XXXX",
                        "port" => 8080
                      ) )

The problem is this, after activating the proxy module I started
seeing  web hits that look like this: - - [19/Oct/2005:19:10:31 -0400] "GET http://
www.online.sh.cn/ HTTP/1.1" 200 26226 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)" - - [19/Oct/2005:21:09:43 -0400] "GET http://
www.google.co.uk/ HTTP/1.1" 200 26226 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
MSIE 4.01; Windows 98)"

This looks bad to me. It looks like (based on the 200 status code)
that people are able to use my box as a HTTP proxy server now.  I
believe that when I first set up the site, the logs were showing 404
errors for the GET http://... connections.

Does anyone have any experience/advice/urls for how I should best
lock down the lighttpd proxy module on my Typo site? Apologies again
for the only vaguely-tangential-to-typo subject...