[typo] Blocking trac spam

Phil Cryer phil at cryer.us
Tue Oct 18 10:34:45 EDT 2005

Sounds like a case for Bad Behavior; I use it and it works better than anything I've seen.  Instead of looking at content and trying to deciede it's spam, it looks at the POST 'fingerprint' and stops it there. From the site:

"Bad Behavior was designed and built by watching actual spambots which harvested email addresses, posted comment spam, and used fake referrers. By logging their entire HTTP requests and comparing them to HTTP requests of legitimate users, it is possible to detect most spambots. Bad Behavior blocks spambots with a 412 error. It also has three configurable User-Agent lists for spambots and other malicious bots which actually identify themselves. Bad Behavior can use string matching or regular expression matching against a User-Agent.

Bad Behavior also will target bots which fail to obey robots.txt. At this time some of these bots are banned by User-Agent, though in the future Bad Behavior will detect them automatically."

http://www.ioerror.us/software/bad-behavior/

"You teach best what you most need to learn." - Richard Bach