[typo] Version number

William A. Carrel william.a at carrel.org
Sun Nov 20 15:07:00 EST 2005

On Nov 20, 2005, at 8:56 AM, Scott Laird wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2005, at 8:53 AM, Ronald Green wrote:
>
>> This is minor but I just updated my typo to build 759 from trunk. I
>> noticed at the bottom of the admin page that the version number
>> appears
>> except it shows version 741.
>
> Interesting.  The version number is a new feature; we're still
> working the kinks out of it apparently.

The revision number in trunk/lib/typo_version.rb will not be updated
unless the file is modified somehow.  The 741 being seen was the last
changeset that modified that file.

There isn't a global-revision keyword for Subversion. (See also
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#version-value-in-source) The
winning way to get this done according to the Subversion folks is to
run 'svnversion path/to/typo/base'.  Conveniently, this is a local
only operation that does not require contact with the svn server.
People running HEAD and submitting bugs or feedback should run this
to give a good idea of what revision they are on.  (And it makes note
of local modification which can be helpful in debugging.)

It is probably possible to embed a call to svnversion into the admin
pages, although it does require that people leave the .svn files in
their install, and that the www-data user has sufficient permission
to run out and execute svnversion.

[...SVK-related minutiae follows...]

For SVK users this is a lot more complicated... we'll have to run svk
info //typo/trunk (presuming that's where it's been checked out to)
and then parse that for the line that looks like:
Mirrored From: svn://leetsoft.com/typo/trunk, Rev. 756
...or worse yet have to trace the merges back from the patchset
branch you might be working on.  Suffice it to say, if you're using
SVK you should already know what you're doing, because if you don't
it's going to be a big hassle. ;-)
__
wac