[typo] Documentation tool suggestions?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Sun Nov 20 12:33:01 EST 2005

I'd like to start creating a Typo manual, and I'm looking for tool
suggestions.  My goal right now isn't to create a user's guide
(although we need one and I'd like to use the same tools to create
one), but more of a developers guide or guide to new features.  For
instance, right now I'm working on a notification system (via email
and RSS at least, more later), and I'd love to write a couple pages
of text to explain how the system works from the inside.  In the
past, I've posted all of the details on my blog, but it's kind of
unreasonable to expect new users to search my blog for feature docs :-).

I'd like something that will let me write plain-ish text with
relatively minor markup (I like Markdown, but I don't really care
that much) and will spit out HTML documentation and a formatted PDF
with a table of contents.  I'd rather not go down the docbook road if
I can avoid it.  I could probably cobble something together with
Markdown and a few wrappers, and then a HTML-to-PDF converter, but
I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel.  The only *real* requirement is
that the documentation source has to live in text files in the Typo
subversion tree--no Word documents, and nothing explicitly web-based.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tools to look at?

Scott