[typo] Comments about the current state of typo theming

Micah Wylde wyldeone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:11:52 EST 2005

I appear to not be making myself clear, so let me try again. With the
typo theming system, in order to actually do anything complicated you
need to modify the actual program (which is accomplished by replacing
typo files.) This works well, and is incredibly powerful from the
themer's point of view, as it allows them to extend the program to do
anything they want. The problem lies in the fact that, as they are
using interfaces within typo which will change (IE functions,
partials, etc.), there is no guarantee that how their theme interacts
with these things will continue to work correctly.

An example is the changes within the live search between 2.5.7 and
2.6.0. In 2.5.7 the js detection code was within the template
(default.rhtml). However, in 2.6.0 it was moved to the _search.rhtml
partial, which caused live search to be broken for themes designed for
2.5.7. Problems like this are inevitable under the current system. In
order to allow typo theming to continue an abstraction layer must be
written, similar to those that exist in other blog engines. Though
utilizing Ruby's built-in theming capabilities may be convenient and
powerful, it provides no guarantee for how the themes will interact
with the unthemed portions of the engine.

On 11/14/05, gpshewan <gpsnospam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess that's where I don't understand because I've been using the
> same theme (my own hackage ... albeit different colours) through all
> of the 2.5.x releases and I'm running on rev 743 at the moment.
> Nothing ever broke for me and there hasn't been any large outcry on
> the list about themes breaking so I'll take a stab at saying I'm not
> in the minority there.
>
> I understand that anybody stretching their own theme development for
> the sake of the competition could find large changes in handling
> themes frustrating.  But it's not a major problem for Typo
> development ... just an issue for the competition.
>
> Gary
>
> On 13 Nov 2005, at 19:03, Micah Wylde wrote:
>
> > You misunderstood me. I was pointing out that under the current
> > system every new release will break themes. I was not advocating
> > for a halt of development.
> >
> > --
> > Micah Wylde
> > AccordionSoftware