[typo] & in titles

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Nov 14 13:52:59 EST 2005

On Nov 14, 2005, at 4:24 AM, jonasb.16759522 at bloglines.com wrote:

> I had a similar problem recently where I put a HTML entity in the
> title (&
> Oslash; in this case). It worked as intended on the blog, but
> didn't show
> up correctly in feeds/aggregator. Haven't looked into it though.

You can't generally put entities into the title field and expect them
to survive RSS.  The RSS spec (pick one) doesn't say which format the
title is in, and some readers assume that it's just plain text, while
others assume HTML.  So it's unclear if Ø should be encoded as
Ø or Ø.  As expected, both options are popular.

This is one of the reasons for Atom.

You can usually work around this by using UTF-8.  It doesn't help
when you're trying to put "&" or "<" into the title, but it'll take
care of nearly everything else.

Scott