[typo] Comments about the current state of typo theming

gpshewan gpsnospam at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 12:42:29 EST 2005

Steady Dick,

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Micha said,

> There is also a huge danger here, which we have already seen,
> namely that either development of Typo must cease, or else every
> new version will, possibly majorly, break existing themes ... What
> we need is a theme abstraction layer, the interface to which will
> stay constant, at least amongst major versions. Such a change would
> of course require huge changes to the codebase. But if we want typo
> to continue to grow and flourish with themes, it's a step that much
> be taken.

What did I misunderstand?  Seems a suggestion to halt Typo
development to me.

The theme competition is a great idea, but if further development
causes headaches for designers then some people (and I put my hand up
for this) just don't care and would rather see improvements in code -
whether that touches theme aspects or not.  If it needs a release
then there SHOULD be a release.  How well a blogging engine is put
together and runs is more important to me than how pretty the themes
are for it.

Is that clear enough?