[typo] Trunk 474 vs 2.6.0

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Sat Nov 12 13:51:20 EST 2005

On Nov 12, 2005, at 10:38 AM, Marco van Hylckama Vlieg wrote:
> I'm new to this list but I'm kicking in with a serious problem.
> I'm currently developing a VERY advanced theme for the Typo theme
> contest. I was reaching completion yesterday but today I found out
> it's totally broken on Typo version 2.6.0.
>
> I was (and still am) working with Trunk builds. Currently I'm at the
> latest (rev. 747).
>
> The strange thing is: Everything still works fine on the trunk build
> but everything is broken on 2.6.0.
> I'd expect these builds to be sort of the same. All problems occur
> with local views/* templates in my own theme dir.
>
> I also wonder why the live preview and an alternative style for admin
> comments seem to have disappeared in version 2.6.0. I completely
> pimped the live preview only to find out it was removed in a next
> version.
>
> Can someone give me some information on what's happening? I'm in a
> mild state of panic at the thought of having wasted so much time on a
> great theme to find it to break completely on a new stable Typo
> version :(

First, don't panic.  Version 2.6.0 is really a continuation of the
2.5 series, *not* the current trunk.  There's a lot of stuff in the
trunk that isn't in 2.6, like tags and the admin comment class.
We're planning on releasing the trunk as 4.0 soon, but not until
after the theme contest is done.

I don't think this is really critical, though--I may be mistaken, but
I think the trunk is a valid target for theme contest themes.
Geoffrey is the final authority on that, but I wouldn't panic if
parts of your theme don't work right with 2.6.

However, other then a handful of features that are in the trunk but
not 2.6, themes *should* work fine with either release.  I wouldn't
expect to see that "everything is broken on 2.6.0."  Can you give us
a few more details?

If you'd like, feel free to mail me your theme and I'll see what's
happening.  If it's really a bug in 2.6, then it's almost certainly
one that I put there.  I'm not going to be entering the theme contest
(my design skills aren't up to it anyway), and I won't disclose any
of your theme without your permission.

Scott