[typo] Typo on windows XP

Craig Overend craig.overend at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 23:00:33 EST 2005

I'm a complete newbie and I've had a lot of problems getting mine to work.
Here are some tips I've used. So far it seems to be working...

I'm running the Ruby One-click installer 1.8.2-15 on Apache2.0.51, Typo
2.6.0 (trunk), FCGI 2.4.2 and MySQL 4.1.15 and RubyforApache

After I first installed ruby, I later found out that for some reason it
didn't install correctly. Follow the troubleshooting section here
http://electricvisions.com/rails.html to make sure yours is.
I then installed using gems

c:\>gem install rails -- remote

Installed Ruby for Apache.

Copied the 4.1.15 mysql.so file into my
c:\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8\i386-mscvt folder that I obtained here
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToUseMySQLRubyBindingsOnWin32

Installed MySQL. Made sure I could connect to it with MySQL-Front and edited
my Typo database.yml file to match.

Made sure FCGI and mod_rewrite were installed into Apache httpd.conf.

# mod_rewrite
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
# FastCGI
LoadModule fastcgi_module modules/mod_fastcgi.so
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi

Had more than 1 process in my apache httpd.conf file:

FastCgiConfig -maxClassProcesses 5 -maxProcesses 5 -minProcesses 1
-processSlack 1

I found Apache timed out with only one like a lot of installations
recommended. Especially in development mode which is dog slow...
So make sure you set Typo to run in Production Mode. I just edited the Typo
environment.rb to change this. Unquote the line.

ENV['RAILS_ENV'] = 'production'

Changed .htaccess to have dispatch.fcgi

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L]

Changed dispatch.fcgi and dispatch.rb to

#!c:/ruby/bin/ruby

This got me up and going.

Hope that helps,
Craig.