[typo] Export from mysql of typo articles with forward ticks instead of apostrophes

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg vanweerd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 10:47:27 EST 2005

On 11/10/05, Scott Laird <scott at sigkill.org> wrote:>> On Nov 10, 2005, at 7:15 AM, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:>> > Hi all,> > I have an issue with mysql export of typo articles putting garbage> > inthe export file in place of forward ticks (right single quotes> > Iguess).> > It looks like they are stored in an odd manner in mysql already- â> > €™-but they display okay. However, on export, they get garbled more> > an nolonger display correctly.> > Looking at one example of It'sPre Export:It’s> > Post Export:It’s> > This content was edited on a Mac, and I assume there is a forward> > tickon the keyword. My windows keyboard doesn't seem to have it,> > havingthe apostrophe ' only.> > Can anyone shed some insight into the issue and if there is a> > workaround? Right now I plan to switch to regular apostrophe.>> This is a classic sign of character encoding problems--the DB looks> like it's in unicode, but for some reason you're seeing it in some> lesser encoding.  Does your browser have a setting to switch> character encodings?  If so, try flipping to UTF-8 and see what happens.>> The next step after that is to make Typo and your browser communicate> correctly.  Which web server are you using?>>> Scott> _______________________________________________> Typo-list mailing list> Typo-list at rubyforge.org> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/typo-list>Hi Scott,
Thanks for the response.
I can see the text fine off the original mysql database the contentwas authored in. It's when I export that the text gets extra garble,and doesn't display right on import (I verified the garble is in thetext file).
So I don't think web server and browser are part of the issue. Doing aquick check, It occurs with both Apache and Lighttpd on Textdrive, andApache on Dreamhost. Mysql database is UTF, and the browser encodingis UTF also (Firefox).
The  probem text seesm to be "real" single quotes- left quote andright quote. I guess this is more of a mysql problem, but I waswondering if anyone else has seen in with their typo usage.
Thanks,Nick--Nicholas Van Weerdenburg