[typo] Export from mysql of typo articles with forward ticks instead of apostrophes

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Thu Nov 10 10:35:15 EST 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 7:15 AM, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have an issue with mysql export of typo articles putting garbage
> inthe export file in place of forward ticks (right single quotes
> Iguess).
> It looks like they are stored in an odd manner in mysql already- â
> €™-but they display okay. However, on export, they get garbled more
> an nolonger display correctly.
> Looking at one example of It'sPre Export:It’s
> Post Export:It’s
> This content was edited on a Mac, and I assume there is a forward
> tickon the keyword. My windows keyboard doesn't seem to have it,
> havingthe apostrophe ' only.
> Can anyone shed some insight into the issue and if there is a
> workaround? Right now I plan to switch to regular apostrophe.

This is a classic sign of character encoding problems--the DB looks
like it's in unicode, but for some reason you're seeing it in some
lesser encoding.  Does your browser have a setting to switch
character encodings?  If so, try flipping to UTF-8 and see what happens.

The next step after that is to make Typo and your browser communicate
correctly.  Which web server are you using?