[typo] Empty span.typo_date generates XHTML warning

Chris Boone hypsometry at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:43:08 EDT 2005

Hi all

I'm setting up a Typo blog for myself -- tweaking it locally first,
now, before deploying to Textdrive soon -- and I noticed that the new
(?) way to format the published dates, using domscript, uses an empty
span element to store the date in a hidden fashion. Course, Tidy (as
manifested in the Firefox HTML Validator plugin) doesn't like empty
spans.

I'm new to the list, but I looked through the archives quickly and
didn't see any discussion of this.

It's not a big deal (obviously... :), but since I do sell my services
as a web designer with a focus on web standards, it's not optimal.

Has anyone thought about another way to implement this functionality?
(Cause it's pretty cool.)

For instance, might it be worth including the old fashioned (static,
that is) post date within the span, and having show_date_as_local_time
hide it / replace it with the fancier (dynamic, that is) version?

Thanks.

--
Chris Boone

http://hypsometry.com/  :  website edification