[typo] Keeping Typo's codebase separate from site-specific customisations

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Jul 13 03:07:52 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 16:39, Jonas M Luster wrote:
> > FWIW, as a comparison, we use Drupal as a CMS that is available to our
> > 4000 ISP/vhost clients off a single copy of the 1.8Mb Drupal codebase.
> >
> > I can't deploy rails/typo for real until I emulate this kind of setup.
> As someone who codes on Drupal stuff and uses Typo for his weblog, I
> should point out the obvious differences between a weblogging system
> and a CMS with a working, albeit limited, weblog entry module
> included. Drupal used to be rather monolithic as well, pre
> 'settings/' directory (4.6, respective CVS trunk releases), but had
> been written from the get-go with some multi-hosting in mind. All in
> all, I think it's unfair to both Typo and Drupal to attempt to
> compare the two :)

I did say "rails/typo" as typo is fully dependant on the rails framework,
of course, so how typo could be extended into a full multihosting
equivalent would largely depend on how the rails framework is tweaked.

And I think it would be even fairer to say Drupal evolved into a much
better multihosting app because of demand. Earlier versions were NOT
multihosting friendly at all. I suspect rails and typo will come under
the same requirement (hey, I'm one who wants it) so all I am suggesting
as typo devel moves forward is to keep full multihosting in mind.

I am hugely encouraged by the appearence of this thread on this list.