[typo] Keeping Typo's codebase separate from site-specific customisations

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Jul 13 02:29:09 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 14:49, Tim Lucas wrote:
> Just thought Duane's recent post might have some relevance to Typo:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails/14513

That was a timely post, thank you! I'm a ruby/rails/typo newbie and
I cannot deploy typo until I come up with a true multihosting solution
for rails/typo.. which is proving to be difficult but probably because
of my lack of understanding of how rails really works.

FWIW, as a comparison, we use Drupal as a CMS that is available to our
4000 ISP/vhost clients off a single copy of the 1.8Mb Drupal codebase.
I only have to change 2 lines in the PHP include files to pull the main
config file from the users homedir for their MySQL perms and we have
1000s of separate Drupal sites running in full PHP safe-mode. We provide
phpBB2 and Gallery in a similar manner but now changing it so that
Drupal is _the_ system with a photo gallery module included instead.

I can't deploy rails/typo for real until I emulate this kind of setup.

> Might be a good way to keep Typo core separate from from site-specific
> customisations... though it would quickly become unmaintainable if
> people are overriding things willy-nilly. Nothing can replace a set of
> well thought-out and documented extension points.

Absolutely. Please keep in mind a true multihosting solution!

--markc