[typo] Hacking for static content

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Thu Jul 7 23:09:59 EDT 2005

Quoting Mark Constable <markc at renta.net>:
> On Friday 08 July 2005 11:50, Trejkaz wrote:
>> > I don't get it... if you use a controller it's not static...
>> We just have slightly different views of what's static.  To me, static just
>> means the content doesn't change, and my pages are static because they're
>> served from files which are just sitting on the disk.
>> And using a controller seems to be the only way to make static pages
>> show the
>> correct sidebar.
> A true static page is somepage.html that bypasses ruby altogether.

Sure, but it's a trade-off.  Sites I tend to make don't get a lot of hits, so
I'd rather have a tiny loss of efficiency during the page request, rather than
having to regenerate every page just because some feed in my sidebar got a new
post. :-)

> The fastest caching system on the planet is a dynamic system
> that writes out plain *.html pages, perhaps with some javascript
> to make up for some truly needed runtime data.

Nope.  The fastest caching system on the planet would have all that HTML in
memory, as reading from the filesystem is expensive. :-)