[typo] Typo Theme Contest Redux

Marco van Hylckama Vlieg marco at i-marco.nl
Wed Dec 21 07:35:49 EST 2005

Hi guys,

I'm the author of 'Lush' so I feel an urge to respond here if you all
don't mind.
As some of you may know I've been royally pissed off by the results of
the Typo contest.
I've seen a month's hard work being beaten by half-finished, unpolished
themes that have been
whipped up in one or two days. I can honestly say that didn't feel very
nice.

HOWEVER: This has absolutely nothing to do with Geoffrey, the sponsors
and / or anyone else
who helped organizing this contest. It has everything to do with a (I
still strongly feel like this) very
poor job done by the 'esteemed judges'. Even though I'm not 'a
professional designer' I can clearly
see these results don't make sense at all and many people (including
other professional designers) have
told me the same thing. Therefore I'm not saying 'the judges are
awesome', simply because they aren't,
no matter how big their names are.
I feel they haven't taken this contest seriously at all. A clear signal
of this observation is the total lack
of coverage of this contest on any of their websites. Not even a link,
nothing, zero, zip.

I'm all for giving credit where credit's due but the judges aren't the
ones who should get much of that
when it comes to this contest. My credits go to Geoffrey and anyone else
who worked hard to
make this contest a reality.

That said, even though I hated the contest results, I'm totally against
this whole petition thing. First of
all I believe what's done is done and secondly I believe it's damaging
to Typo, Geoffrey, the sponsors
and anyone else involved. Typo is a great piece of software, it's
community is totally awesome
and it really doesn't deserve this kind of bad publicity. Personally I
haven't heard anything of this
whole petition thing but if I do I'll tell whoever approaches me with it
that I don't agree with it.
I'm seeing sites powered by Lush popping up all over the world including
blog.leetsoft.com which
is an enormous honor to me. Probably even better than winning a
powerbook in the long run.

Therefore I'm all in favor of letting this thing go and move on. I'll
post a notice on the Lush demo site
too.

Thanks,

Marco