[typo] Feeds

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Dec 7 18:55:40 EST 2005

On Dec 7, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,

>>> Which feed reader are they using?
>>
>> I see this in Akregator and Thunderbird also.  Thunderbird has a
>> long-standing
>> bug with doing this to many sites so I didn't think much of it,
>> but I admit
>> that it's odd to see it happen in Akregator.
>
> I get his on occasion due to the way that the feeds generate the urls
> for each entry. Sometimes they will generate using the ip address and
> sometimes with the host name so a url for a feed may alternate between
>
> <guid>http://www.realityforge.org/articles/2005/12/02/validations-
> for-non-activerecord-model-objects</guid>
>
> and
>

> <guid>http://131.172.40.169/articles/2005/12/02/validations-for-non-
> activerecord-model-objects</guid>
>
> I have been meaning to go in and fix that by supplying host but
> haven't got around to it ;) Not sure if that helps.

Ahh.  Interesting.

The trunk generates guids and stores them in the DB, so this isn't a
problem with the current code.  On the other hand, if you're using
2.6.x or earlier, and you have people hitting your website through
several different URLs, then the cache *will* make the feed GUIDs
move around.  Yuck.

Yet another reason to get a new release out the door soon.

Scott