[typo] install error 500

Peter Kröpfl peter at groebi.com
Wed Dec 7 02:33:54 EST 2005

like some others I get an error 500 when I try to start up typo using:

$ ruby script/server -e production
=> Rails application started on
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server; call with --help for options
[2005-12-06 23:36:35] INFO  WEBrick 1.3.1
[2005-12-06 23:36:35] INFO  ruby 1.8.3 (2005-06-23) [i486-linux]
[2005-12-06 23:36:35] INFO  WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=29291
port=3000 - - [06/Dec/2005:23:36:43 CET] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 0
- -> /

Pointing the browser to http://localhost:3000/ I only get a blank page.
Interestingly if I point the browser to localhost:3000/500.html the html
will be shown.

The connection to the database should be OK I guess, because if I try
the following I get an error saying that a table can not be found.
Which is obvious, because typo  installation has not been started yet,
so no tables have been created.

$ ./script/console
>> Article.find(:all)
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: FEHLER:  Relation »articles« existiert
nicht : SELECT * FROM articles

the log directory and the files are writable, but the logfiles do not
show any output.

running dispatch from the command line gives error 500 again:

$ public/dispatch.fcgi

I have no idea what else could be wrong, or what else to check. Please
help! I have no idea what else I could try, maybe someone else has.

My Configuration:

I am running Ubuntu Breezy (5.10)
$ ruby --version
ruby 1.8.3 (2005-06-23) [i486-linux]

$ rails --version
Rails 0.14.3

$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.4.8

$ sudo gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (1.1.3)
    Service layer for easy email delivery and testing.

actionpack (1.11.0)
    Web-flow and rendering framework putting the VC in MVC.

actionwebservice (0.9.3)
    Web service support for Action Pack.

activerecord (1.13.0)
    Implements the ActiveRecord pattern for ORM.

activesupport (1.2.3)
    Support and utility classes used by the Rails framework.

fcgi (
    FastCGI ruby binding.

postgres (0.7.1)
    The extension library to access a PostgreSQL database from Ruby.

rails (0.14.3)
    Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
    and ORM.

rake (0.6.2)
    Ruby based make-like utility.

rubygems-update (0.8.11)
    RubyGems Update GEM

sources (0.0.1)
    This package provides download sources for remote gem installation