[typo] Typo Forums Now Available! (Moderators wanted!)

Jason Bainbridge jbainbridge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 18:27:35 EST 2005

On 12/5/05, Brian Hutchison <b.hutchison at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize that the PHP solutions are far ahead of RForum, but was any
> thought given to eating our own dog food, so to speak? RForum
> (http://rforum.andreas-s.net/trac/) is written using Ruby
> on Rails. Its currently in beta but being put to good use at
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/. More info on RubyForge at
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/rforum/.  It seems to be the
> furthest along of the Ruby based forums:
> http://rubyforge.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=forum&Search=Search
>
> Not nearly as snazzy as SMF or phpBB, but what we don't like we can extend
> ourselves. Sorry if I missed the earlier discussion on this.

There wasn't any discussion on the list about that but Kevin and I
discussed it and our thoughts are summarized in the forum announcement
and quoted below:

"RForum does look very interesting but it is still in its very early
stages and not something we thought was ready for the general public
to use just yet, remember the forums are aimed mainly at people
wanting to install and use Typo as a blog and not for developer types
that are comfortable lurking on mailing lists so the forums have to be
something they feel comfortable with using and like it or not most
people are comfortable with the standard forum type software like
SMF."

If the forums were aimed at replacing the mailing list then I would
see things in a different light but for the general user population I
say give them something they are familiar with. There is no technical
reason why we couldn't use RForum we just thought it wasn't in the
best interest of the users we wish to support at this stage.

We also made a comparison to the Wordpress forums where they use
something closely tied to Wordpress (bbPress) that a lot of people
including us have issues with so we didn't want to go down a similar
path to them.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge