[typo] Abstemious Cache Sweeping

Piers Cawley pdcawley at bofh.org.uk
Sun Dec 4 13:08:09 EST 2005

Justus Pendleton <justus at ryoohki.net> writes:

> On 2005-12-04, Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk> wrote:
>> So, I'm about to start to add better tracking of cached pages, and I
>> want to make sure that I've got my flushing rules straight in my head,
>> so I'm brain dumping here. Here's the rules I've worked out so far:
>>
>> An article is created                    Uncategorized index pages
>
> Everything also has a "and maybe flush all pages depending on what
> sidebars do" requirement.  For instance, I have a sidebar that lists the
> 5 most recent posts.  So I need to flush the cache on every article
> creation.  It sounds like what you need is some way for sidebars to
> register which actions trigger an update/flush for them.

Nice idea. The sidebar you're talking about would work fine with a
'nuke everything on article creation' approach, but that's not going
to be the case for all such sidebars (5 most 'active' posts for
instance).

Personally, I become more and more convinced that we need to have some
way of doing ajax rendering of sidebars. Or fragment caching, which
brings its own set of problems because you have to track fragment
dependencies.

--
Piers Cawley <pdcawley at bofh.org.uk>
http://www.bofh.org.uk/