[typo] Typo Forums?

Victor Jalencas victor-typo at carotena.net
Sun Dec 4 08:26:35 EST 2005

Freedom Dumlao wrote:
> The mailing list may be *easy* to sign up for, but it is a pain in
> the neck to find information on. If you want the answer to one
> question, you must *subscribe* to the mailing list.
Unless you respond directly to the user. Of course, if you know what to
respond, chances are you are already subscribed.

> You may decide to
> do a google search for your answer, but I will tell you that every
> question I have researched this way has returned results for several
> different rails apps, and not just typo specifically.
You should restrict the scope to the typo list archive then

> It's
> frustrating. And when the question is one you are SURE has been asked
> before, a person is not likely to feel that the question is welcome
> on the mailing list.
If it's so commonplace, chances are a) the answer is in the archive
b) the answer is published on some blog somewhere

> Another disadvantage to the mailing list is that I have to receive
> EVERY thread, regardless of weather or not I give a crap about it.
The inverse is true of forums: How do I know I am not missing anything
interesting? How does the forum keep track of which threads have been
already read by me, and how does it notify me of new posts? How does it
know if I'm accessing anonymously from an internet cafe?
Also, do I really need to open a page full of answers to a poster, when
by looking at the first post I would already know that I am not
interested? Or, do I need to download and read through the whole thread
just to read a couple of new messages (one of them being 'me too') when
a few mail bytes would have sufficed? Yes, of course, you can paginate
the posts, but I don't call that accessible.

> Yes, all of my typo list stuff is filtered to its own box, but still,
> watching one thread is not convenient.
I am not sure what you mean by convenience of watching a thread here

> As far as the gmane thing, its nice to have them suck up the info,
> but the fact is the info is re-displayed in a flat out ugly way. For
> a piece of software that is so beautiful to use, it sure is ugly
> trying to get support for it.
I would say these two statements are unrelated. No one here can control
how gmane looks like.
> There is just no elegance in a mailing
> list/NNTP/gmane support system, backed up by Trac, which while a good
> ticked and development tracking system, is certainly not the ideal
> solution for a primary website for something like typo.
I disagree. I think mailing lists are more elegant than forums, for
certain purposes. And this is one of them. But then again, you are
presuming the main website should be devoted to support. Why not devote
it to promotion, or to development, or to the community?

> I don't really know what Typo's plans are as far as what it wants to
> become. With the recent theme promotion and contest, it really seemed
> like typo was trying to reach out to the masses and say, look at me!
> But many people will be discouraged by the current support system,
> especially if they are used to the much more popular support system,
> the forum.
More popular according to who?

> If Typo wants to become the popular blogging system it deserves to
> be, it is going to need a more available format. NNTP is nice, but
> still requires news software to access. I can't get to it from the
> office at my day job, or from an international internet cafe.
Don't you have outlook express? I thought it still came bundled with
windows
(which I assume is what most offices and internet cafes use today)
In any case, I wouldn't expect my boss to tolerate me browsing typo
posts while at work.

> My point is this: a forum is plain EASY to use and everyone is
> familiar with the concepts. Patching together multiple various
> technologies and relying GOOGLE to be the lists search engine (which
> of course wont index every day) is not strong enough to escalate Typo
> to the usership of other popular systems. Unless the idea is to keep
> out everyone except those who are already rails initiates, I cannot
> think of a good reason not to use a forum.
Well, a forum has also certain disadvantages:
* If the forum server falls, you need to use google cache or something
like that. While I will be able to access my mailing list archive in 200
years (provided I'm still alive) and see the latest posts in my
blackberry or PDA (if I had one)
* You need to register (and sign in) when you want to answer a question,
even when you want to respond individually to a poster. If not
necessary, forums soon become spamfected
* You need a web browser to access them, with good table support. So,
lynx is ruled out when you're in a system with shell only access (yes,
this is far-fetched)
* There's always the need to nominate forum moderators, which need to be
managed by the maintainer. This reeks of elitism to me (but that's just
me of course)
* Forum maintainers always find the need to put google ads somehow. I
respect their need to offset the costs, but then, they shouldn't offer
to donate resources if they can't keep them up.
* Mail messages are easier to parse.

If you want to devote a forum for support, by all means do so. I don't
want to appear as if I want to prevent you from doing it, just answering
your points here. I expect the developers will keep posting on the
mailing list as well, though.