[typo] Typo Forums?

Freedom Dumlao freedom at freedomdumlao.com
Sun Dec 4 00:17:45 EST 2005

The mailing list may be *easy* to sign up for, but it is a pain in
the neck to find information on. If you want the answer to one
question, you must *subscribe* to the mailing list. You may decide to
do a google search for your answer, but I will tell you that every
question I have researched this way has returned results for several
different rails apps, and not just typo specifically. It's
frustrating. And when the question is one you are SURE has been asked
before, a person is not likely to feel that the question is welcome
on the mailing list.

Another disadvantage to the mailing list is that I have to receive
EVERY thread, regardless of weather or not I give a crap about it.
Yes, all of my typo list stuff is filtered to its own box, but still,
watching one thread is not convenient.

As far as the gmane thing, its nice to have them suck up the info,
but the fact is the info is re-displayed in a flat out ugly way. For
a piece of software that is so beautiful to use, it sure is ugly
trying to get support for it. There is just no elegance in a mailing
list/NNTP/gmane support system, backed up by Trac, which while a good
ticked and development tracking system, is certainly not the ideal
solution for a primary website for something like typo.

I don't really know what Typo's plans are as far as what it wants to
become. With the recent theme promotion and contest, it really seemed
like typo was trying to reach out to the masses and say, look at me!
But many people will be discouraged by the current support system,
especially if they are used to the much more popular support system,
the forum.

If Typo wants to become the popular blogging system it deserves to
be, it is going to need a more available format. NNTP is nice, but
still requires news software to access. I can't get to it from the
office at my day job, or from an international internet cafe.

My point is this: a forum is plain EASY to use and everyone is
familiar with the concepts. Patching together multiple various
technologies and relying GOOGLE to be the lists search engine (which
of course wont index every day) is not strong enough to escalate Typo
to the usership of other popular systems. Unless the idea is to keep
out everyone except those who are already rails initiates, I cannot
think of a good reason not to use a forum.