[typo] I broke Ajax commenting :(

kellan kellan at pobox.com
Thu Dec 1 11:30:22 EST 2005

On 12/1/05, Marco van Hylckama Vlieg <marco at i-marco.nl> wrote:

> When trying to comment on my site I get the following javascript error:
>
> Error: element.style has no properties
> Source File: http://www.w3-labs.com/javascripts/effects.js
> Line: 754

This is caused by Mozilla's intentionally broken implementation of
lastChild.  At some point some whitespace has slipped into your
comment list, and now when commentAdded() is run, instead of returning
the final element in the list (the newly added comment), you're
getting the whitespace.

You can try to clean up all the whitespace until it stops happening,
but a better solution would be for Typo to move away from using the
lastChild dom selector.

-kellan