[typo] TextFilters: Post Processors vs. Macros

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Fri Aug 26 19:59:47 EDT 2005

On Aug 26, 2005, at 4:17 PM, Ryan Abrams wrote:

> My main question is how Macros and Post Processors differ enough to
> be treated differently... why is there a distinction?

For a good example, look at SmartyPants. That is definite a post-
processor; it cannot be implemented as a macro. However, <typo:code>
is a macro - it should not be implemented as a post-processor.
Justus's comment about post processors translating valid HTML to
valid HTML is right on the money - that's what a post-processor is
for. Whereas a macro is for inserting a bit of extra functionality,
like syntax highlighting for code.

> Why can't i disable flickr parsing for one filter type but not
> another?

Because <typo:flickr> is in its own namespace, so it doesn't hurt to
leave it on all the time, and giving the ability to disable macros
would unnecessarily complicate the admin UI.

> Why is it ok that the amazon plugin uses an <amazon:ISSN> tag
> instead of <typo:amazon>ISSN</typo:amazon>? What is the concept there?

It's actually <a href="amazon:ASIN". And my guess is because this is
a convention already used in some blogs, so scott simply wanted to
mimic that. But that's just a guess. You'd have to ask him for the
definite answer.

--
Kevin Ballard
kevin at sb.org