[typo] Frustrating Dreamhost/Typo experience

Scott Hughes (List) shughes_list at globalreset.org
Thu Aug 25 16:11:03 EDT 2005

Hi all...  I'm new to the Typo mailing list and to RubyOnRails
development  (my agile book is in the mail).  I'm having a bit of an
annoying experience with Typo on Dreamhost.  I'm running out of SVN
(from approximately 7 days ago) and I'm getting frequent lockups/

I looked through my apache error log and I don't see anything
particularly illuminating...  Just a few errors where dispatch.fcgi
returned 0 bytes.  Doesn't give much else for info.  The production
log looks fine, except for an occasional missing image (which btw, is
not referenced by my stylesheet or my default.rhtml, so I don't know
where this image is being requested and how it got lost).  Whenever
Typo is not responding, a 'ps ax' shows a dozen or so dispatch.fcgi
processes running (some defunct).

I've tried running in developer mode, and watching the output, but I
can't reproduce a timeout condition when doing so.  My blog probably
gets 10-30 real hits a day, and over 300 hits by robots.  I don't
know if the robots are what's causing the problem.

After a while of waiting for it to "fix itself", I end up doing a
"killall -9 dispatch.fcgi;  rake sweep_cache" and wait about 15-20
minutes for it to start working again.  I don't know if that's the
best procedure for reseting it or not...  And I'm really curious as
to why it takes 15-20 minutes to start working again.

I looked at the rails troubleshooting tips on the Rails wiki, but
nothing helped.  Does anyone have any tips (which I could add to the
wiki) that could help me debug this?  Or is anyone aware of any
gotchas for Dreamhost installation?  All I did to install was ftp the
files over (that I had svn'ed to my local Mac), setup my database,
import my wordpress articles, and point a subdomain at the path to
Typo (with fcgi enabled).  I had to "chmod +x public/* script/*"...
And I've modified my own copy of the default theme.  But that's it..
It's a fairly vanilla installation.

Thanks for any help.

Scott Hughes