[typo] Sidebars and caching

William A. Carrel william.a at carrel.org
Wed Aug 24 01:34:48 EDT 2005

On Aug 23, 2005, at 9:31 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:

>> In the meantime, I've submitted #345.  The sidebar content is
>> written into each page but it has a call to Ajax.Update to run out
>> and try to fetch newer sidebar content from the server.
>> If the person running the blog wants to update the sidebar content
>> every 15 minutes all they have to do is have a cronjob delete .../
>> public/sidebars/sidebar/display_plugins.html every 15 minutes so
>> it will be regenerated at the next request.  Alternatively if they
>> set permissions so that file could not be generated, users will
>> always get the most recent sidebar content.
>>

> hi.
> just a quick question.
> if there is some dynamic content on your sidebar, why not make that
> into a dynamic sidebar component, or just add it via the current
> static component.
>
> ie put something like
> <script type="text/javascript" src="/js/linktracker.js" ></script>
> <script>
> document.write("foobar")
> </script>
>
> or just use a Iframe in there...
> no need to regenerate the entire page I would think.

There is some desire update the existing del.icio.us and flickr feed
sidebar plugins every 15 or 30 or 60 minutes.  Right now, the only
way to do this is expire out the whole cache and regenerate all the
pages.  Pulling an HTML fragment for each individual updateable
plugin, as you are suggesting, is an option to accomplish this, but
requires a lot more requests for the needed HTML fragments and, as a
result, may not be as smooth to load.

Iframes are deprecated as part of XHTML.  Apparently object-tags are
the new hotness, although you wouldn't be able to tell from MSIE's
rendering behavior.
--
wac