[typo] Sidebars and caching

Ian Holsman lists at holsman.net
Wed Aug 24 00:31:31 EDT 2005

William A. Carrel wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Scott Laird wrote:
>> On Aug 23, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Kevin Ballard wrote:
>>> Do you really want to introduce a visual delay before the sidebar
>>> shows up each time you load a new page?
>>> Perhaps the better solution would be to switch from static page
>>> caching to action caching.
>> I'd really like to do some performance testing with action caching.
>> I'm using it for one thing with my filter code right now, and it looks
>> nice and simple.
> In the meantime, I've submitted #345.  The sidebar content is written
> into each page but it has a call to Ajax.Update to run out and try to
> fetch newer sidebar content from the server.
> If the person running the blog wants to update the sidebar content every
> 15 minutes all they have to do is have a cronjob delete
> .../public/sidebars/sidebar/display_plugins.html every 15 minutes so it
> will be regenerated at the next request.  Alternatively if they set
> permissions so that file could not be generated, users will always get
> the most recent sidebar content.

just a quick question.
if there is some dynamic content on your sidebar, why not make that into
a dynamic sidebar component, or just add it via the current static

ie put something like
<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/linktracker.js" ></script>

or just use a Iframe in there...
no need to regenerate the entire page I would think.