[typo] Logs / Statistics

Ian Holsman lists at holsman.net
Wed Aug 24 00:20:55 EDT 2005

William A. Carrel wrote:
> I imagine you'd achieve this by fitting some magic javascript or image
> into the article in the RSS feed.  Really this would track the same way
> as article views and probably could be implemented fairly easily (and
> non-invasively) using the filter framework that Scott Laird has been
> working on.

there are a couple of issues with RSS feeds.

1. some don't show HTML, they just do text
2. most don't pass cookies, or Referrers.
3. most are on a periodic schedule so your not actually tracking people
viewing
4. people's IP numbers change
5. multiple people may be viewing your RSS feed (bloglines for example)
6. some/most of them don't run javascript (intentionally)

so in order to start tracking things you can't just use the typical
webbug/1x1 gif you would normally.

my only suggestion is that you change the URL you offer to include the
cookie of the viewer
so the URL displayed in the HTML/page would change from
http://feh.holsman.net/xml/rss/feed.xml

http://feh.holsman.net/xml/rss/A1231BC01231.xml

would (via a rewrite rule ) would get mapped to feed.xml
and aritcles in the actual RSS feed would have similar encodings.
(meaning they would be dynamic)
this would help with 2,4 and 6.

your Stat generator would need to also look at people's useragents, as
they have subscriber numbers in them as well.