[typo] Sidebars and caching

William A. Carrel william.a at carrel.org
Tue Aug 23 13:47:08 EDT 2005

On Aug 23, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Scott Laird wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2005, at 9:32 AM, William A. Carrel wrote:
>> Thinking about what various people have been saying about giving
>> sidebars different caching properties.  We could explore
>> implementing the whole sidebar or its constituent modules as an
>> AJAX load (or SSI if we're feeling lowtech ;) so that it could be
>> swept separately from the articles.  I'm not sure what implication
>> this would have for things like Google AdSense in the sidebar.
> Right now, there's no way for sidebar plugins to export a publicly-
> visible controller action.  I have code for this in my filter patch
> that would apply cleanly to sidebars, but it's not there yet.

For individual sidebar plugins sure, but for the whole sidebar, we
already have code for that... http://blog/sidebars/sidebar/
display_plugins  And this could be added to the cached pages easily

> I think there are probably better approaches to this problem then
> adding a dozen ajax loads per page, though :-).

Well a dozen ajax loads doesn't sound like much fun, but one for the
whole sidebar isn't quite so bad and certainly helps resolve the
problem that sidebar plugins are going to want shorter cache timeouts
than article content.  It seems silly to sweep the whole article
cache to update sidebar content when breaking that content out would
be fairly trivial.

This looks straight forward enough that I'll work on a patch today...

- --

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)