[typo] Multiple users

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Aug 22 23:53:04 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 10:58, Jeff Casimir wrote:
> Not to mention the possibilities of revenue generation.  Offer hosted
> Typo blogs for some paltry fee ($3/month?) and raise money for the
> project, developers, whatever.

Yep, I've got 4000 dialup ISP clients who I would love to
offer a blog system to and there is simply no way I am going
to plonk a complete RoR/typo setup in every users web dir.
It's simple, what happens in 6 months when I want to upgrade
to the latest version, apply a security patch, or add extra
modules or functionality.

The PHP5 system I am building requires a simple index.php of

 <?php require 'netserva/Kernel.php' ?>

in each user dir and that pulls up a complete system. Until
I can do something similar with typo I am stuck in PHP land.
Then there is an issue of some kind of PHP open_basedir safe
mode but that is a separate issue.

> Benjamin Jackson wrote:
> >> I find multi-blog support for the core Typo project to be feature
> >> bloat myself.  9.5 times out of 10 there will be 1 blogger or one
> >> blog with many bloggers blogging on the same
> >> blog (say that 5 times fast!).  Don't you think the multi-blog
> >> feature would only be useful to a small minority of our users and not
> >> the 95% majority?
> >
> > Depends. I can think of a lot of NGO's that could use a good
> > open-source blog to manage blogs for the organization, including an
> > English school that I'm working with right now that wants to do
> > student blogs. We're looking at MT but I would love to be able to use
> > typo instead :)

--markc