[typo] Logs / Statistics

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Mon Aug 22 00:43:35 EDT 2005

On Aug 21, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Jeff Casimir wrote:

> Are you saying that you want to track when users access your RSS
> feed?  That sounds like an interesting challenge.  I think the
> tracking would have to come from the controller that renders the
> XML.  For Typo applications, this would mean adding a method call
> within the controller if you want to use railstat.  Of course first
> I'll have to figure out the railstat side of things.  It shouldn't
> be hard, but I haven't had much dev time in the last week.  I will
> keep it at the forefront of my to-do list this week.

The problem with this is that Typo has caching (as long as you're
running under production), so you'd only track the first hit to the
feed after each change, and any subsequent hits would find the cache
and not trigger railstat.

On Aug 21, 2005, at 11:22 PM, William A. Carrel wrote:
> I imagine you'd achieve this by fitting some magic javascript or
> image into the article in the RSS feed.  Really this would track
> the same way as article views and probably could be implemented
> fairly easily (and non-invasively) using the filter framework that
> Scott Laird has been working on.

That wouldn't work. That would track each time the user views that
article in their newsreader (assuming it supports JS), not each time
the feed is fetched.

What I'm really most interested in, though, is not each individual
access of the feed (although it would be good to know that for server
load purposes), but rather who's reading my feed, which really means
tracking each time a unique IP hits my feed.

Perhaps railstat could do some minimal logfile parsing for this sort
of thing?

--
Kevin Ballard
kevin at sb.org