[typo] Tagging

Justin Palmer typo at isolated-designs.net
Sat Aug 13 17:37:38 EDT 2005

> If I made enough posts which had this category, I might.  Who's to
> say that
> when I make this first post about them, I won't be making more of
> them...

Thats a generalized assumption, if your running a NNW fan site or
frequently blog
about NNW then it would warrant a category.

> If I realise too late, what am I
> supposed to do?  Create the category and then go hunting for all
> the posts
> which I need to update to include the category as well?  Why
> bother, when the
> tag categorises for me already?

Most people generally 'know' what there interest are and can
determine when they'll
be frequently blogging about a subject enough to create a category
before hand.  This
situation is very unlikely to happen unless you have something like
kottke.org where you
cover all things and can't forsee what's hot and what's not.

You as a blogger _know_ your interest, and the likely hood of
something sneaking up on you
is very slim.

> Semantically, tags and categories appear to be exactly the same
> thing.  The
> only difference is purely in the UI

Tags are flat in nature, categories are hierarchal.

> The UI for tags is definitely preferable, but I see no solid
> evidence that
> the two have different *meanings*.

Have a read:
http://www.shirky.com/writings/ontology_overrated.html