[typo] application error (rails) issue, also, lighttpd vs apache

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Sat Aug 13 11:32:07 EDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:37 PM, Kyle Cooney wrote:
> Hi, all -
>
> I know this application error issue has come up multiple times, at
> least once here on the mailing list, and at least once on the
> textdrive forums.  I'm having an issue where the majority of my
> typo installing seems to be running fine(both index page, and
> complete admin section), but where when I attempt to go to
> individual article pages, there seems to be problem accessing it.
> This is also apparent in the recent articles sidebar that was given
> to me through the list.  I running the trunk build 478(about a week
> prior to 2.5.3).

Look in logs/production.log.  If Rails is working most of the time,
but failing on some pages, then there will almost certainly be an
explanation in the logfiles.

> It sounds like it's a routing erroring to me somewhere in the
> controller, but I can't be certain; I'm still new to the whole
> rails thing.  Any ideas?  I've modified the pages slightly so that
> the default index view includes the extended body, so I'm not sure
> if that's causing a problem(I can't see why it would), or if it's
> something else.  At this point, I've somewhat lost track of which
> files Typo utilizes to piece together an archive page, maybe that
> the's the problem.

I'm not really sure what the point of adding extended_html to the
main index view is--the point of extended_html is a place to put
stuff that you don't want to clutter up the main page.  That's pretty
much all it's used for.  But I can't see why that'd break anything.

> The second issue I have, and of much less importance(I think!), is
> that I went through the whole configuration process for setting up
> lighttpd on Textdrive, and when I do the curl command to ensure
> that I'm running on Lighttpd, it tells me I'm on Apache(!).  Is
> this just a byproduct of being a shared server where the default
> server is apache? Or did I do something wrong?  From the looks of
> the wiki documentation, I've done something wrong.

No idea.

Scott