[typo] Tagging

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Fri Aug 12 22:47:17 EDT 2005

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:30, Justin Palmer wrote:
> Tags are not categories.  Tags have a greater granularity than
> categories.
>
> Assume you create a post about NetNewsWire inside a 'tech' category.
> You could tag this as 'netnewswire', 'rss', 'atom', and
> 'syndicate'.  You wouldn't want a
> category called 'NetNewsWire' would you?

If I made enough posts which had this category, I might.  Who's to say that
when I make this first post about them, I won't be making more of them...
enough to warrant creating a new category?  If I realise too late, what am I
supposed to do?  Create the category and then go hunting for all the posts
which I need to update to include the category as well?  Why bother, when the
tag categorises for me already?

Semantically, tags and categories appear to be exactly the same thing.  The
only difference is purely in the UI: tags are created automatically when you
type the words into a tags box, and categories have to be created up-front.
The UI for tags is definitely preferable, but I see no solid evidence that
the two have different *meanings*.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>