[Tioga-users] font size change using tex_preview_fontsize results in incorrect label positioning

Vincent Fourmond vincent.fourmond at 9online.fr
Wed Sep 6 17:02:09 EDT 2006

  Hello !

> A quick fix is to change the location options to [rc] (horizontally
> right-aligned, vertically centered) for the left y-axis labels and
> [ct] for the bottom x-axis.

  This probably should be made default for the next versions of Tioga.
I'll have a look at that when I can.

> In this way, the labels will grow in size
> away from the axis. Unfortunately the labels often collide with the
> axis title text. There is no easy fix for this other than manually
> changing the title's location in the \put command.

  What about the f.ylabel_shift=. That really seems to do what you want.

> To me, it appears that fontsize changes must be accounted for by the
> routine that generates the \put commands for the .txt file. And this
> routine must know the true size of the text that is being placed
> (possibly by running tex  for each text fragment and reading
> extracting the box size -- ugly!).

  This is way too complex to implement - and you wouldn't want to wait
five minutes for one figure just because we need to launch LaTeX dozens
of times, followed by gv (or similar) dozens of times to get the PDF's
bounding box...

> The reason I'm using the fontsize command is that I want to generate
> a figure whose absolute size is controlled and whose fontsize is
> identical to the accompanying article text. For example, I want a
> final pdf whose bounding box is 3in wide and the text font is Times
> at 12pt. So far I haven't succeeded in doing this.

  I agree that this is something difficult to do. If you want that all
text is the same size as you article (say 12), try that:

xaxis_numeric_label_scale = 1.0 (to make sure the axis ticks is at the
right scale); the same for y. You might want to have a look at all
_scale functions available in Tioga if you still have text with not the
right scale (look in the .txt file, it should be fairly straightforward
to find).

  If you en up with too many ticks, you can start to play with
xaxis_locations_for_major_ticks and the like, but I agree it will be a
little tedious. I'll need

  Then, you need to make sure that the Tioga font is what you want. For
that, make sure you are including the figure in your article with
\tiogafigureshow and try \settiogafontsize{12.0}[12pt] and you'll
probably need to fiddle with \settiogafontfamily, but I can't remember
how to use times with that. (JJ, any ideas ?)

  I'll be glad to know if you succeeded or not, and in both cases what
you did.

  Thanks for raising the question, and thanks for you interest in Tioga !