[Support-mirrors] Current requirements for a mirror.

Tom Copeland tom at infoether.com
Thu Mar 20 09:27:12 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 16:28 +1300, Stefan Saasen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a gem mirror on my machine (server located in Germany) and
> I'm currently thinking about making it a public mirror (if you are
> interested).
> http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/231/mirror_setup.html mentions
> that 300 GB Bandwidth per month is needed (for both file and gem
> mirrors).
> As the disk space for the gems alone is about 2 GB now (as opposed to
> 1 GB as of 6/15/2007) I was wondering what the current bandwidth usage
> for a mirror is?
> I'm happy to contribute the 300 GB bandwidth per month mentioned, but
> 300GB would be the upper limit... Is there a way of only mirroring the
> gems and throttling the bandwidth usage?

Hi Stefan -

Thanks!  Actually, I think we're all set for mirrors right now... we've
got a fair number, and adding more wouldn't really make much difference
at the moment.  But thanks anyhow!

Also, thanks for the size notes, I've updated the mirror_setup.html
document to reflect the new size requirements.

Thanks,

tom