[Support-mirrors] tentative new gems mirror on Amazon's Simple Storage Service

Thorsten von Eicken tve at rightscale.com
Wed Aug 29 21:26:52 EDT 2007

At RightScale we are constantly installing new machines on Amazon's
Elastic Compute Cloud and the performance and reliability of ruby
mirrors is critical to us. For this reason I've tentatively set-up a new
gems (not files) mirror at http://mirror.rightscale.com/ which we use by
putting a --source http://mirror.rightscale.com into ~/.gemrc

Ok, now to the "tentatively" part. This is not a std mirror due to the
peculiarities of Amazon S3. The way I'm mirroring is by listing the gems
directory of the gems.rubyforge.vm.bytemark.co.uk mirror every night
using HTTP and comparing the Last Modified HTTP header of every file
(HEAD request) with a timestamp stored in S3. The reason I'm using the
UK mirror is that it seems to be the only one to produce a reliable Last
Modified HTTP header. The daily update means that if you need to grab
the latest gem a few minutes after it has been published, don't use the
S3 mirror.

Since the mirror set-up is non-std, I would appreciate feedback before
making any wider announcements.

Thorsten - www.rightscale.com - Amazon EC2 made easy