[Support-mirrors] mirror setup questions

Dennis Oelkers dennis at lauschmusik.de
Tue Jan 17 17:14:48 EST 2006

Hello Vince,

Vince Hoang wrote:

> I am interested in helping mirroring RubyForge. I like the idea of
> using a mirror master to offloa the bandwidth requirements to a
> faster host, but would greatly prefer pulling the mirror than
> having it pushed.
> With the current URL schema of http://mirror/projectname/filename,
> would I need to setup a separate virtual host for it, rather than
> use something like http://mirror/rubyforge/projectname/filename?

I guess Tom is able to answer those questions.

> Lastly, I believe the documented rsync setup leaves the mirror
> vulnerable to malicious behavior. The 'hosts allow' option should
> only list IP addresses. If I know the contents of the rsync.secret
> file, I can resolve my IP address to rubyforge.lauschmusik.de and
> overwrite the contents of any mirror that uses the listed
> configuration:
This setup is used only for the master server, where the rsync-modules
are read-only
anyway. The limitation is there to save bandwidth, not to protect the
content, but
thanks for the hint, although it's already known :)

Kind regards,
          Dennis Oelkers
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)