[Support-mirrors] Do deleted gems automatically get taken out of rotation?

Tom Copeland tom at infoether.com
Wed Feb 22 10:44:32 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 02:50 -0500, Gregory Brown wrote:
> Hmm... I had a funky problem.
>
> I just released a new version of ruport which I had split into two
> gems, one that loads dependencies and one that doesn't.
>
> the two were called ruport and ruport-lean
>
> I had a problem on 2 of my 3 test machines in which typing
> sudo gem install ruport was grabbing ruport-lean, so it was impossible
> to get the ruport package
>
> I deleted ruport-lean, but it still hasn't gone out of rotation.
>
> Do deleted gems go out of rotation and I'm just being impatient?
> Or do they need  to be taken out manually.

Sorry for the delay in replying!  They need to be taken out of the gem
index manually... there's an RFE on fixing this here:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2466&group_id=5&atid=104

Once they're removed from the gem index, though, they can stay on the
mirror servers since they're not referenced anywhere... although that
wastes a few KB of storage.  Anyhow, once that RFE is implemented, that
problem should go away as well.

> PS.  I am still interested in hosting a mirror, if the admins would
> please contact me I will set the gears in motion on my end.

Cool, yup, discussed this with you offline... pending the mirror sync
push thing.

Yours,

Tom